Frequently Asked questions

General Questions

Will I receive a certificate for electrical and plumbing works?

Yes, certificates are provided by our certified electricians and gas engineers. We are Gas Safety registered.

Do you work with the council?

Yes, we work alongside building regulations who ensure the work is conducted according to specification and architectural drawings.

Do you help with building control application?

Yes, we do where it is about a renovation, extension, loft conversion or converting a house into flats, but there is an application fee that building regulations charge, which is paid by the home owner.

Didn't find your question here?


How would you proceed?

You have started the foundation excavation for a small extension and discover that the main 150mm diameter foul drain will pass right through the two-side wall foundations.

We would build a bridge over it.

What advice would you give to The client?

While excavating the foundation for the sidewalls to an extension, you discover that the main building's foundation is only 450mm deep.

We would advise the client to underpin the main building's foundation.

What properties must polystyrene insulation have to make it suitable for laying under a 100mm floor slab?

It must achieve the relevant u value.

What is the cause of this potential problem?

An area of the wall above an external window opening is damp on the inside skin.

It could be lack of a tray damp and weep holes.

Have more questions?

Loft Conversions

How would you lower the first-floor ceiling as part of a conversion?

You lower the floor joists to the appropriate level that is required and bolt new joist to the wall with resin.

How can you strengthen a ceiling so it can take floor loads?

RSJ are used to strengthen the ceiling with 7.2 timbers 400 apart. Nuggets are placed between the timbers in the RSJ and then 600 center. Any timbers that run alongside the wall are bolted to the wall with chemical resin.

How do you construct a gabled dormer above the purlin line?

Remove a section of roof and support the remaining purlins by placing a plate under the purlin and supporting it with acrow and timber wedges. Double up either side of the opening with timber to match existing timber. Construct the two-side walls of the new dorm equally to support the new roof and use double trimmers front and back. If the dormer goes right to meet the fascia line then double up right and left joist and trimmer to the bottom height of the window.

What is your understanding of fire and escape requirements above the first floor?

The windows should be big enough for someone to fit through. The stairs and passage way should be fire-rated to give at least 1hr escape. Fire doors with fire strips and smoke alarm should be installed. Water sprinklers can also be installed.

Need advice on a project?

Share by: